Tamil Movies | Trailers | Comedy | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie News | Previews | Reviews | Music Review | Packages | Rising Stars
Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo
Dinesh Lamba

He is someone who made the audience notice his acting skills in his very first Tamil film.
Playing the role of an eccentric psychopath to perfection, in his Kollywood debut movie Urchagam, Dinesh Lamba is no stranger to the camera. He is a well-known character artist in Bollywood and has 22 Hindi movies to his credit including Mumbai Express and the latest blockbuster Vivah.
Dinesh Lamba
In an interview to the Behindwoods special correspondent, Dinesh Lamba, the man behind the thrills in Urchagam, speaks about his career and passion - cinema. Here are the excerpts:
Dinesh Lamba

BC - Hello Dinesh Lamba, at the outset we extend our heartiest congratulations on your successful Tamil debut.
D.L – Thank you very much.

BC - So, how do you feel playing a psychotic character, that too in your first Tamil film?
D.L – Actually I don’t think you can call that character a psycho or a baddie, its how he was brought up. He thinks that what he does is right. That’s his character, so I guess if you see it practically, he is an antihero.

BC - You predominantly acted in comedy roles in Bollywood. How did you relate to this kind of character?

D.L – I love playing different characters, but you should also know that I was not always into comedy in Bollywood movies. I have played a wide array of characters - from comedy to emotional to almost everything. In Vivah I had played an emotional character. In Main Aaisa Kyun Hoon, my role was that of a mentally challenged person. And I am cast in negative characters in most of Ram Gopal Verma’s flicks. As I am a theatre artist, I always try to do different types of roles and this is my first full-fledged villain role.

BC - Do you know Tamil?
D.L – No, but I am learning, and hopefully soon I will lend my voice in my movies.

BC - What other offers do you have on hands from Kollywood?
D.L – Talks are on for two films, but it is too early to divulge any information on that. But both will be a commercial movie.

BC - How did you get the chance for Urchagam?
D.L – Actually it was an accident. It happened through a friend of mine who took me to meet Mr. Jeevan of GV films. Incidentally, Jeevan had a meeting with director Ravichandran who was on the lookout for a villain for his movie. While driving around, our talks turned to movies and my career in films. Impressed by the way I presented myself, I received a call from Ravichandran the same night telling me that the person he had met did not suit the character and that I seemed more apt for it. The offer was too good to resist and I accepted it immediately.

BC - How were the co-stars and director on the sets?
D.L – On the sets everyone were so supportive and very helpful. Especially Mr. Sampath, who came in as a friend in reel life and went on to become a real life friend. The director was very helpful and he patiently explained each and every shot to me before filming it. Even Nandha and Sherin were highly supportive and helped me a lot. I feel so lucky to be playing a role alongside such talented artists.

BC - Have you watched any Tamil movies?
D.L – I have great respect for Tamil and Telugu movies. Especially Tamil, because this is the land from which Kamal sir, Maniratnam sir, Shankar sir, and A.R.Rahman sir came from. I have watched a lot of Tamil movies even before my Urchagam days. I am a big fan of Nayagan and loved Pithamagan. Some of the latest movies that I saw are: Pokiri and Sivaji. Rajini sir was superb in the movie.

Dinesh Lamba

BC - Who would you term as your role model?
D.L – Being a theatre artist I wonder how a role model would affect the acting of an individual. So I don’t have a role model as such but draw inspiration from a lot of people. To name a few, Amitabh Bachchan, Nana Patekar, Kamal Haasan, Paresh Rawal, Naseerudin Shah, Om Puri, Vikram and Surya. The last two were superb in Pithamagan, I loved the movie. I also liked Surya in Perazhagan, would love to do a similar role.

BC - Amongst the villains, who would you rate the best in Tamil cinema?
D.L – In Tamil industry, I think the two best are Raghuvaran and Prakashraj. Actually the character that one portrays is the brainchild of the directors and they should also be equally praised.

BC - Ok, amongst the directors who would you like to act under?
D.L – Of course Maniratnam sir and Shankar sir, they are like a God to me. And would love to work again with my Urchagam director Ravichandran, he is a very talented creator.

BC - Thank you Mr. Dinesh Lamba for taking time off from your busy schedule to give this interview
D.L – Thank you.

Everything about Tamil movies, Tamil Actors, Tamil Actresses, Tamil Cinema & Kollywood
Behindwoods.com © 2004-2007 ; Privacy Policy ; Terms of Service ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com